Houston Education Event – Defining Insider Trading
Speaker: Mary O’Connor, Partner, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Felp LLP
Tuesday, April 7, 5:30 to 7:30 pm
Offices of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Felp LLP 1111 Louisiana Street 44th Floor Houston, TX 77002-5200
This event is free of charge and limited to 30 people, so please register soon. We look forward to seeing you there.
Many thanks to Akin Gump for hosting us!
O’Connor, Partner, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Felp LLP
Mary O’Connor has more than 20 years of experience in complex business litigation, arbitration and corporate investigations. She has tried cases in state and federal district courts and has briefed and argued numerous cases on appeal. Ms. O’Connor has also handled securities arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association, the New York Stock Exchange and the National Association of Securities Dealers. In addition, she has represented clients in private arbitrations involving purchase price adjustments and reinsurance issues.
Ms. O’Connor’s recent representations include –
- the audit committee of a New York Stock Exchange-listed distributor of brand-name consumer products in an investigation of alleged irregularities in accounting and disclosure practices
- the audit committee of a public company providing restaurant and entertainment services in an investigation of alleged irregularities in accounting for stock option grants
- an Argentina-based oil and gas company in federal trial and appellate court proceedings to confirm ICC arbitration awards in excess of $550 million against a state-owned oil company and the Government of Turkmenistan
- a leading provider of nutritional supplements in shareholder class action, shareholder derivative and Texas Attorney General litigation related to marketing practices of the company’s independent sales associates
- the former CEO of a public company in an SEC enforcement action based on the company’s alleged improper recognition of revenue for software sales and services
- the former CFO of a publicly-held distribution company in shareholder class actions, litigation by the trustee of a liquidating trust for creditors of the company, and an SEC enforcement action arising from alleged improprieties in accounting for vendor incentives
- the chairman of the board of a publicly-owned financial services company in NASD arbitration proceedings brought by individual customers of an introducing broker
- an Ohio-based manufacturing company in an SEC investigation of fraudulent accounting practices by the vice president for finance of one of its subsidiaries
- a major telecommunications company in trademark litigation with a competitor in the wireless services business
- a manufacturer of food-grade plastic packaging in patent infringement litigation with a competitor.
Ms. O’Connor joined Akin Gump in 1983 and has been a partner since 1990. She received her B.A. summa cum laude in political science from Bryn Mawr College in 1979 and her J.D. from Stanford Law School in 1983. She is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the Dallas Bar Association, the Texas Bar Foundation and the Dallas Bar Foundation. She is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Texas and the District of Colorado.
Register for this event –>