Houston Education Event:
Upcoming Events in Houston
Past Events in Houston
Wednesday, January 13th from 6:00-8:00pm
The Wine Bucket Boutique & Bar
2311 West Alabama
Houston, TX 77098
Come help us kick off the New Year in style with a glass of wine, shopping and mingling! Look for our group in the Boutique area in the front; we look forward to seeing you!
Graciously sponsored by Legacy Asset Management. Wine and hors d’oeuvres will be served.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
6:00 pm to 8:00pm
Christmas Cocktails at Carter’s!
Please join us at the Wimberly’s new home for holiday cheer. Wine, beer and hors d’oeuvres will be served.
Members and spouses (or significant others) are invited.
To protect privacy, the address will be provided to registered guests.
And special thanks to Gina Betts for the amazing gift of the certificates to the Ceron Salon!!
TXWSW will be the first group to have an event at the exciting new Verandah 1919 at the St. Regis Hotel. It is their new patio bar that serves tapas and yummy cocktails. We will have a private space reserved for us at the venue.
Wednesday, November 11th from 6:00pm-8:00pm
Where: Verandah 1919 at the St. Regis Houston
1919 Briar Oaks Lane
Cash Bar Come join us for this fun event to get the Holiday Season started off right!
|When: Wednesday, October 21st from 6pm to 8pm
Where: The Tasting Room at River Oaks
Dinner is Dutch treat and will be limited to 12 people, so sign up early!
|Tuesday, September 22nd at 6pm
Dinner is dutch treat and will be limited to 20 people, so sign up soon!
Houston Committees Volunteer Meeting – August 12
There will be a dinner held at Christine Drusch’s house in Bellaire TX for all women interested in volunteering for the Houston Committees. This is a private event.
If you have an interest in attending or learning more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please join us for a Houston Small Dinner with Janet Luby!
Janet has been in the fund management business for 20+ years; most recently as a Senior Portfolio Manager for Van Kampen Investments. Please join her for dinner where she will discuss what it took to get to the top, the importance of networking, and how to do it effectively.
When: Wednesday May 20th at 7:00 pm
Where: Palazzo’s Trattoria River Oaks
2300 Westheimer, Houston TX
Space is limited to 12 people, so reserve early to guarantee your spot!
Janet began her career at United Bank Houston as Assistant Comptroller and then spent 8 years at Invesco Aim, on the accounting side and then transitioning to an Equity Research Analyst role. In 1995, she took on a portfolio management role at Van Kampen Investments. Her last position there was Senior Portfolio Manager / Executive Director. She left Van Kampen in 2007. Janet is a CFA charterholder and Certified Public Accountant. She has a BBA in finance from Texas A&M and is a Houston native. She is married to Dennis Luby and they enjoy their time off at their ranch in Bandera TX.
Speaker: Mary O’Connor, Partner, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Felp LLP
Tuesday, April 7, 5:30 to 7:30 pm
Offices of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Felp LLP 1111 Louisiana Street 44th Floor Houston, TX 77002-5200
This event is free of charge and limited to 30 people, so please register soon. We look forward to seeing you there.
Many thanks to Akin Gump for hosting us!
O’Connor, Partner, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Felp LLP
Mary O’Connor has more than 20 years of experience in complex business litigation, arbitration and corporate investigations. She has tried cases in state and federal district courts and has briefed and argued numerous cases on appeal. Ms. O’Connor has also handled securities arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association, the New York Stock Exchange and the National Association of Securities Dealers. In addition, she has represented clients in private arbitrations involving purchase price adjustments and reinsurance issues.
Ms. O’Connor’s recent representations include –
- the audit committee of a New York Stock Exchange-listed distributor of brand-name consumer products in an investigation of alleged irregularities in accounting and disclosure practices
- the audit committee of a public company providing restaurant and entertainment services in an investigation of alleged irregularities in accounting for stock option grants
- an Argentina-based oil and gas company in federal trial and appellate court proceedings to confirm ICC arbitration awards in excess of $550 million against a state-owned oil company and the Government of Turkmenistan
- a leading provider of nutritional supplements in shareholder class action, shareholder derivative and Texas Attorney General litigation related to marketing practices of the company’s independent sales associates
- the former CEO of a public company in an SEC enforcement action based on the company’s alleged improper recognition of revenue for software sales and services
- the former CFO of a publicly-held distribution company in shareholder class actions, litigation by the trustee of a liquidating trust for creditors of the company, and an SEC enforcement action arising from alleged improprieties in accounting for vendor incentives
- the chairman of the board of a publicly-owned financial services company in NASD arbitration proceedings brought by individual customers of an introducing broker
- an Ohio-based manufacturing company in an SEC investigation of fraudulent accounting practices by the vice president for finance of one of its subsidiaries
- a major telecommunications company in trademark litigation with a competitor in the wireless services business
- a manufacturer of food-grade plastic packaging in patent infringement litigation with a competitor.
Ms. O’Connor joined Akin Gump in 1983 and has been a partner since 1990. She received her B.A. summa cum laude in political science from Bryn Mawr College in 1979 and her J.D. from Stanford Law School in 1983. She is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the Dallas Bar Association, the Texas Bar Foundation and the Dallas Bar Foundation. She is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Texas and the District of Colorado.